Parents give great advice. Our parents raised us to make good decisions in life. Can you remember some of the important words of wisdom that your parents gave you?
One of the phrases I’m sure you heard was: “Eat your vegetables!” Some of you may remember when you couldn’t leave the table until you cleaned your plate. Eating your vegetables was a very wise bit of advice from your parents. Decades of scientific research have shown us that eating fruits and vegetables are important for:
- Reducing risk of heart disease
- Reducing risk of cancer
- Reducing risk of high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Reducing the risk of diabetes
- Reducing risk of vitamin/mineral deficiencies
- Aiding with weight control (ever heard of the Volumetrics diet?)
- Protecting your body against free radical damage
- Support a healthy immune system
It is important to eat your fruits and vegetables to achieve your best quality of life and improve your health. Nearly 20 years ago, AgeWell Services started serving more fruits, fruit juices and vegetables with our Lunch & Activity Center and Meals on Wheels meals. Research recommends eating 9-12 servings of fruits & vegetables every day to improve health. We care about your health and we hope you enjoy these healthy additions to your meal.